Saturday 30 June 2012

Why your customers are crying out for business training and might cancel the order

Why your customers are crying out for business training and might cancel the order: by Jason Li 2012 ©

At some point in your business training a customer is unavoidable...

Whether you are in IT or an electrician...

If you do have to, be great at training...

Because being good at training customers can make your business stand out.

Let me tell you a story of an experience of training that made a difference to me changing supplier. For a long time I had used a certain mobile phone which had a lot of contacts in the address book built up over the years, and this was the sole reason to stop me changing over to a new phone. I bet you can’t believe it, but hey, I find things like that just plain annoying. In the past when I changed phone, I had to write out numbers and names and it took me a whole day to do, so it was a case of never again.

Anyway, technology has moved on. At the shop, the shop assistant eased my fears and inertia by showing me how to copy numbers off my phone into my new phone so that I could do it in minutes when I got home. And so the deal was done.

Small business training

Every day there will be small businesses training needs, whether it is for staff or customers. Of course, with staff training this is easy because you really know your staff and if they get things wrong they can keep learning and practising to improve. But what if a new prospective customer can’t get what you are offering them, or cannot get to grips with using what you offer?

A prospect might only give you one chance or two chances at most. So you will need to try to make sure your training is as simple and understandable by anyone possible, even if you are training people with PHD’s.

The reason is that new things are hard for people to know and fully understand the first time around. So when showing prospects and clients how to use your products and services, your business needs to make sure they can understand and do all the processes to get them from A to B.

 Then get them to demonstrate back to you how to do it. If they can’t and they say: “I think I get it,” try not to leave it to chance, just say: “Well while we are here we can try it again and it should be easier this time.” Or something along these lines to ensure they can use your product or service.

Business training home page

When I trained customers, I always had the business training home page ready as my emergency. Let’s say I’m training a customer to use software, if they got lost, then we could go to the home page and get them back to the relevant page in one or two clicks. Once the customer knew this, the software felt safe and understandable to them. They knew how to ‘reset’ I guess in a way and start again.

There’s times when I’ve trained online and I can’t see what the customer is looking at on their screen, because they got adventurous. So if I thought it was too confusing to try to untangle what they’ve done and make them feel ruffled, going back to the home page and starting again always helped them get used to feeling comfortable with the software. There’s always a way to make customers comfortable with your product or service so try to find out what that is.

Finance and business training

Simplicity is always important when dealing with finance and business training. I have worked with financial people and found it easier to have some pre-calculated examples to show these customers, mainly because they would definitely be better than me at maths. Plus you can practise examples which are easy for people to follow to reduce questioning.

But doing any training in finance without preparing and pre-calculated examples will leave you confused and looking worried in your training when finance directors start picking holes in your made up examples. So why leave it to chance?

So, whether you are putting on business training seminars or there’s a need for someone in your business training individuals, remember this:

‘Making it easy for clients to follow and do what you train them can make a difference in whether they use your product or not’.

Examples include:

Apple: The giant of technology that thinks of everything. Go to an apple store and you will find that the staff there are willing to show you how to use the iPads and design software. Once you’ve got familiar and can use it, you can’t live without it.

Google Maps: Easy to use map software. Just type in a post code, follow arrows or move a bar to expand or reduce the map size. Who buys road maps anymore and struggles with trying to find 38A19? (Although I do like to show I can read a road map when the sat nav is wrong, just to make sure I can still do it)

Flat – pack furniture: A great way to build furniture if you are good at following instructions, have tools available, and like to build furniture. But what if you are not good at building furniture but bought furniture on assurances from staff that it should be easy to build? Well, many people will give it a try, make an attempt to build, struggle, get frustrated, and send it back. Remember, the product, price, design etc were exactly what the customer wanted at this stage and the order has already been placed; they just needed help so that they can use it.


No comments:

Post a Comment